• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public performance in public school-is copyright permisson needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kayakmom

What is the name of your state? PA

Are public schools required to get a performance licence for putting on a talent show. The children will be bringing in their own cd's and such and will be singing, dancing and acting to a variety of current and popular music. Is the school responsible to purchase this license? There is a wide variety of music. Or is my child responsible? And are they somehow immune because they are a public school? They want to videotape it. What does the law say as far as copyright, the owners of the music and the school and children that want to perform? This will be free but will be open to the public.

divgradcurl

kayakmom said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Are public schools required to get a performance licence for putting on a talent show. The children will be bringing in their own cd's and such and will be singing, dancing and acting to a variety of current and popular music. Is the school responsible to purchase this license? There is a wide variety of music. Or is my child responsible? And are they somehow immune because they are a public school? They want to videotape it. What does the law say as far as copyright, the owners of the music and the school and children that want to perform? This will be free but will be open to the public.
Under a hypertechnical reading of the law, this use would probably be infringing without a license. However, educational institutions typically enjoy broad "fair use" exemptions, and this may even be exempt under 17 USC 110(a) depending on the exact circumstances. But mainly, don't worry about it. Nobody is going to get sued.

'Great White'

Florida

kayakmom,

I am a former teacher, and have been a part of many such events. I have never ever had any problems.

Even if it is against the law, it would terrible publicity to sue a teacher or even school personel trying to help (not sell any thing) students develop through their art.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">