• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding compulsory license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjmuck

Hello, first time poster here.:)

I am a musician and 10 years ago I obtained a compulsory mechanical license for a cover song I recorded and released on CD in restricted quantity (under 1000 CDs) domestically, which I obtained through Songfile and paid a fee of $75.00. (I seem to recall that the price jumped substantially the more you were distributing, but I never got beyond 1000 pressings). Now, I am re-releasing my back catalog digitally and wish to re-release the cover song for digital download, streaming, etc. via the internet internationally. 10 years ago, there was no stipulation regarding digital downloads because they didn't exist yet, AFAIK.

Will I now need to obtain a second (revised) compulsory license for digital distribution globally, since my quantities are no longer restricted to hard copy CDs under 1000? If so, would there be an additional fee involved and would it be substantially higher (read: cost-prohibitive) to do so since I'm now releasing internationally an indeterminate # of potential downloads? I'm not expecting major sales here, just a few cents here and there in sales.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

"Permanent" downloads are counted the same way / rate as if you sold the song on a CD. Ringtones are a flat rate. Non-interactive streaming is just covered under performance rights.

As for your unused recordings under the old license, this you might want to bounce by harryfox, but even before the terms were well defined, mp3 downloads were counted as individual recordings like they are now. Certainly if you ordered them through songfile, it was well after they started handling that.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">