• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Show music videos on a new local TV show?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjv3131

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have a HUGE doubt in my head. I am starting a TV show in my local spanish network.

The TV show is gonna feature old school music videos in spanish. I have legal copies that I bought myself. My question is can I show these videos on the local TV network? If not how would I be able to?

Thanks.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have a HUGE doubt in my head. I am starting a TV show in my local spanish network.

The TV show is gonna feature old school music videos in spanish. I have legal copies that I bought myself. My question is can I show these videos on the local TV network? If not how would I be able to?

Thanks.
you need to get copyright permission.

cyjeff

Of course......but wouldn't the network be responsible for it? If I am buying time from them wouldn't they have to supervise what is shown on their network?
That would depend on the nature of your agreement with the network.

justalayman

Of course......but wouldn't the network be responsible for it? If I am buying time from them wouldn't they have to supervise what is shown on their network?
at best, from your perspective would be that both you and they are liable but generally, they will not be liable for what you broadcast. You are the one that is effectively claiming you have the rights to broadcast the material. They can rely on your claim for the most part unless they have reason to believe it is illegal. Then they would have a duty to act.

racer72

If this is a public access station, you will be responsible for all content, including any copyright issues. I worked on a public access show about 10 years ago and we had to remove some background images, a large motorsports sanctioning body was claiming infringement. The letter from the lawfirm pointed out we were the only liable party and that the station could not be held liable.

jjv3131

If this is a public access station, you will be responsible for all content, including any copyright issues. I worked on a public access show about 10 years ago and we had to remove some background images, a large motorsports sanctioning body was claiming infringement. The letter from the lawfirm pointed out we were the only liable party and that the station could not be held liable.
No, it's a spanish network affiliate. Kind of like ABC, NBC, CBS, and Univision affiliates. It's and independent contractor that pays the right to broadcast "Azteca America" material. Or at least that's what I think they do.

By the way, thank you all for you responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">