• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University Lawyer Killing Culture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SilentU

Connecticut
The university I work for has a lawyer that has created a policy that demands all non-university bands and performers purchase a liability policy to perform. It has killed the musical culture of the university. None of the groups were getting much money to begin with and simply can't afford a $150 policy for a show that pays nearly nothing to begin with. Is this really necessary?

Proserpina

Connecticut
The university I work for has a lawyer that has created a policy that demands all non-university bands and performers purchase a liability policy to perform. It has killed the musical culture of the university. None of the groups were getting much money to begin with and simply can't afford a $150 policy for a show that pays nearly nothing to begin with. Is this really necessary?
Clearly the lawyer thinks so.

quincy

Connecticut
It seems a smart action for the university to take. Have the groups thought to charge more for their performances?

xylene

This a policy matter, not a legal one.

If the administration wants to have a stick up their bum about this can. That isn't illegal.

You need to petition the administration, with lots of people, and evidence, that this is hurting the viability of performances ar the university and that the value of this outweighs the risk cost to the university (maybe have a no pyrotechnics clause or whetever - find out what the are worried about.)

TigerD

Add a line in their contracts that pays them an additional $250 per performance to purchase insurance.

TD

SilentU

This a policy matter, not a legal one.

If the administration wants to have a stick up their bum about this can. That isn't illegal.

You need to petition the administration, with lots of people, and evidence, that this is hurting the viability of performances ar the university and that the value of this outweighs the risk cost to the university (maybe have a no pyrotechnics clause or whetever - find out what the are worried about.)

thanks for the solid advice. I will start that conversation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">