• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does bulk mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wassdeet

CA

I am writing a screenplay for a producer who raised money on Kickstarter. He asked for $6k and got $12k, which is good. The funds were specifically for my writing, I practically had to beg for half and he doesn't want to pay anymore. But when I looked at his kickstarter site, he indicates this in his words; "The bulk of what is raised will go to hiring a screenwriter (me) for the first draft and rewrites".

A webster dictionary definition has, for example, "the main or larger part".

So what does "bulk" represent in percentage?

After half is it 60% or 75% or what?

Also I can go to Kickstarter to protest and it's rules could make him pay it all back to the funders? I don't particularly want to do that, but I want at least 75%.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CA

I am writing a screenplay for a producer who raised money on Kickstarter. He asked for $6k and got $12k, which is good. The funds were specifically for my writing, I practically had to beg for half and he doesn't want to pay anymore. But when I looked at his kickstarter site, he indicates this in his words; "The bulk of what is raised will go to hiring a screenwriter (me) for the first draft and rewrites".

Also I can go to Kickstarter to protest and it's rules could make him pay it all back to the funders? I don't particularly want to do that, but I want at least 75%.
There is no legal definition. You agreed to do the work for $3k. Take your $3k and be happy, sheesh!

quincy

CA

Bulk in the sense you are using it here would mean the larger part, or greater than 50%. If what you want is 75%, I suggest you try negotiation.

As a note, bulk does have a legal definition. When referring to sales, bulk would refer to the whole quantity of goods and, with a bulk sale, it would be a sale of the major part of goods or inventory (or whatever). See U.C.C. Article 6.

Last edited:

Zigner

Bulk means larger part or greater than 50%. If what you want is 75%, I suggest you try negotiation.
In this case, the Kickstarter campaign doesn't have anything to actually do with the already-negotiated contract the OP has.

Wassdeet

wrong

There is no legal definition. You agreed to do the work for $3k. Take your $3k and be happy, sheesh!
Sorry, you must have misread. I agreed for whatever they raised,

What part of "bulk to be raised for the writer" don't you understand?

Are you familiar with Kickstarter?

Silverplum

Your original post does not reflect that condition.

What part of "pleasant to the volunteers" don't you understand? What part of "we can take our legal knowledge and walk" do you not understand?

Are you familiar with hiring and paying attorneys to answer your questions?

Zigner

Ok, you agreed on half. Why are you pushing for more? Are you not a person of your word?

quincy

You can ask for 75% and you can get 51%, if the contract you had said you would get the bulk of what was raised, but you might want the entire contract reviewed by an attorney in your area. It appears that how the contract is worded could trip you up, because you were not involved in the hiring process (you were the one who was hired) and the bulk is for hiring and rewrites.

Zigner

You can ask for 75% and you can get 51%, if the contract you had said you would get the bulk of what was raised, but you might want the entire contract reviewed by an attorney in your area. It appears that how the contract is worded could trip you up, because you were not involved in the hiring process (you were the one who was hired) and the bulk is for hiring and rewrites.
The contract between the op and the other party is for "half". The other party used the words "bulk of" on his Kickstarter campaign. OP is sorry that he didn't bargain for more and now wants to point out to the investors that the other party wasn't truthful (although, he apparently was fine with it before hand)

quincy

The contract between the op and the other party is for "half". The other party used the words "bulk of" on his Kickstarter campaign. OP is sorry that he didn't bargain for more and now wants to point out to the investors that the other party wasn't truthful (although, he apparently was fine with it before hand)
Oh. Okay. I see where I read Wasdeet's first post wrong.

The contract is, apparently, between the producer and Wasdeet and the contract terms were for "half" and not for the bulk of what was raised. So Wasdeet would be entitled to half.

Depending on how the contract was worded and if actual dollar amounts were used instead of a percentage or the word "half," this could mean that Wasdeet is entitled to half of the $6000 asked for originally (or $3000) or half of the $12,000 raised (or $6000).

You know, Wasdeet, you really should have your own attorney on speed-dial at this point. ;)

Wassdeet

Sorry to offend, it was the "sheesh" :)

The rewrites aren't included even though they put it in, once they go to Writer's Guild, all bets are off as WGA will definitely not allow them to get rewrites for nothing. I did the 2nd as a favor but as mentioned, am holding it. Any contracts once we go WGA are in favor of writer. I forgot to mention I'm WGA and this deal will be under Low Budget Agreement (LBA) and producer's contract isn't official.

What I really wanted is an estimate from a few people re: meaning of bulk - thanks Quincy.

Wassdeet

Zigner

Zignor, sorry but you're way off what I was asking on each of your posts.

The only deal we made was for me to write a screenplay and because producer couldn't afford to pay me WGA Low Budget Agreement, I said I'd write it for whatever he could raise on Kickstarter and get the real script fee when he became a signatory to WGA. That was our "contract". Only payments he has to pay are the "gifts" to the funders, t-shirts, cards, etc.

So now he's holding back and I want him to do what he said he would.

Sorry for the confusion. My fault.

Zigner

I guess we're all supposed to jump from square to square every time the OP wants to add or change details.

quincy

... The only deal we made was for me to write a screenplay and because producer couldn't afford to pay me WGA Low Budget Agreement, I said I'd write it for whatever he could raise on Kickstarter and get the real script fee when he became a signatory to WGA. That was our "contract". Only payments he has to pay are the "gifts" to the funders, t-shirts, cards, etc.

So now he's holding back and I want him to do what he said he would.

Sorry for the confusion. My fault.
I was apparently confused by what you wrote, Wasdeet (and, admittedly, still am :)), but Zigner seems to have accurately read what you wrote as you wrote it, so there was no confusion on his part.

Whenever a contract is formed - any contract - it is important for all parties to understand exactly what it is they are agreeing to prior to signing the contract. It will be the terms of the contract as written that each party is legally bound by under most circumstances. Any oral agreement or side agreement that might amend the terms may not be recognized.

What was written on Kickstarter, therefore, should have no bearing on the written contract you currently have with the producer (although if he misrepresented what the raised funds would be for, the producer could be held accountable for this misrepresentation - but this would not involve you) and may or may not have any bearing on your future agreement in regard to this project.

Because what you are owed by the producer appears dependent on the terms of your agreement with the producer, however, I still suggest you have the contract personally reviewed by a professional in your area, before making any demands.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">