• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$100 a day penalty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? U.S.

While I've tried to keep up on Obamacare in relation to taxes, I haven't kept up on fines. At:
http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/legal-hr/2013/09/06/new-obamacare-penalty-that-biz-may-not-know-about/
is an article on how any business covered by the FLSA (Most all businesses.), has at least one employee and revenues of over $500,000 a year has to notify employees of the exchange by October 1 or be in non-compliance with the PPACA. (The general fine for non-compliance is $100 a day although not specifically listed for this violation.)

Since I and many of my clients fall into this category, does anyone have further guidance on this requirement? Perhaps a model notification I could use? Heck, I don't think the state's exchange will be up by then so I don't see how I can notify people of something not in existence, but I'd rather not be put behind the 8 ball by non-compliance. Does anyone have more?

Info edit:
Found something for those who need it.
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/newsroom/tr13-02.html

TigerD

It defaults to the Feds to set up exchanges for states that refuse to do so. :cool:
Yes, fortunately -- or not -- it doesn't apply to me at the moment. But I haven't seen anything about the exchange in Missouri. I may give my old accountant a call later and ask, but my personal sense is that this is turning into one big cluster.

A lot of people are going to get hurt in the next year or two because they don't know how to comply with a law that the government doesn't know how to enforce.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">