• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoning an S-Corp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quest71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Question: I opened an S-corp company back in 2008 and I haven't done anything with it. Can I just abandon it without filing anything?

Thanks,

Edgar

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Question: I opened an S-corp company back in 2008 and I haven't done anything with it. Can I just abandon it without filing anything?

Thanks,

Edgar
If you failed to meet California's annual filing requirement, your S Corp is already considered abandoned. But you could have filed a certificate of abandonment with the state, had you chosen to do it that way.

quest71

If you failed to meet California's annual filing requirement, your S Corp is already considered abandoned. But you could have filed a certificate of abandonment with the state, had you chosen to do it that way.
Thanks Quincy. I'm assuming you are talking about the statement of information doc that I am suppose to submit. What happens after my s-corp is abandoned? Am I responsible to pay anything?

tranquility

Thanks Quincy. I'm assuming you are talking about the statement of information doc that I am suppose to submit. What happens after my s-corp is abandoned? Am I responsible to pay anything?
Google "Ralite Decision". Read what comes up carefully. While you might be able to walk away, it is as likely you may not. (Especially if you took out any assets from the corp.)

Info edit:
While it would be easier to read the articles discussing the decision, the actual holding can be found here:
http://www.boe.ca.gov/legal/pdf/90_sbe_004.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">