• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

About the internet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GetSum

With all the problems mp3.com is having I thought I would ask this question.
Im creating a web site where people can listen to music online. If they like what they hear they click a link and buy the record. If they cannot download the music,can I still get in trouble for allowing them to listen to it for free on my site? The music is from all types of well-known bands.

Thanks,
Ed

------------------
Visit My House
http://www.EdsHouse.com

T

Tracey

That's likely a grey area. On the one hand, I can go down to my local new/used CD place & they have demo discs & players with headphones so people can listen to music before buying it. On the other hand, "publicly performing" a song infringes the copyright. The question is whether your site would be more like scenario 1 or 2.

You can put up the site & hope you don't get sued, pay $$ for a CR lawyer's opinion letter (be sure to get one with malpractice insurance), or write ASCAP & BMI & others (including every independent artist) & ask them what their lawyers think.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">