• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Absentee President of Non-Profit Corporation??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nedcook

Indiana

The President of a non-profit corporation contracted cancer recently and has been undergoing treatment. He is in his upper 70's. He has not been to work for the last several weeks, but has told one of the employees that he is "retired" and will not be back to work. HOWEVER, he has NOT resigned his position as president. Many employees and board members are family. The vice president is the president's younger brother. The younger brother (vice-president) is wondering what he should do. Anyone have any suggestions?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nedcook said:
Indiana

The President of a non-profit corporation contracted cancer recently and has been undergoing treatment. He is in his upper 70's. He has not been to work for the last several weeks, but has told one of the employees that he is "retired" and will not be back to work. HOWEVER, he has NOT resigned his position as president. Many employees and board members are family. The vice president is the president's younger brother. The younger brother (vice-president) is wondering what he should do. Anyone have any suggestions?

My response:

Has anyone bothered to read the corporate by-laws to determine if there's a clause concerning "inability to perform or carry out duties"?

IAAL

N

nedcook

Indiana

Where would one normally look for such by-laws?

Communication is not that great between the two brothers, as you might guess. The vice-president is wondering if it is possible for him to become "acting president" in the absence of the president, who has said he is not returning to work, but so far has not resigned his presidency, nor indicated that his intends to.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nedcook said:
Indiana

Where would one normally look for such by-laws?

MY RESPONSE: Who ARE you in this matter, and why are you asking this question? How the hell should I know where the company keeps its by-laws? Perhaps they're kept in a cookie jar in a van down by the river.

Communication is not that great between the two brothers, as you might guess.

MY RESPONSE: Actually, I didn't, and quite frankly it doesn't matter to me, nor to the issues presented in your post.

The vice-president is wondering if it is possible for him to become "acting president" in the absence of the president, who has said he is not returning to work, but so far has not resigned his presidency, nor indicated that his intends to.

MY RESPONSE: Why are you repeating yourself? You said all of this in your initial post. Didn't you think I read it the first time?

IAAL

N

nedcook

I'm the son-in-law of the vice president, merely trying to look out for his interests. Who are YOU?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nedcook said:
I'm the son-in-law of the vice president, merely trying to look out for his interests. Who are YOU?

My response:

Does who I am matter to you? Am I a part of your father-in-law's corporation?

And, it's obvious to me, from your less-than-knowledgeable question, and repetitive statements, that you're not a member of the corporation either.

As soon as someone locates the corporate by-laws, you will undoubtedly have the answers to your initial post. Until then, no one can answer you.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Problems Caused When Your Corporation Can't Find Its By-Laws - -

NUMBER 10: Stupid questions are asked by family members.

NUMBER 9: Dumb and dumber sons-in-law.

NUMBER 8: Mr. Bobbitt, I'm with the Velcro Corporation, and we've got an idea for an ad . . .

NUMBER 7: Stolichnaya withdraws its sponsorship of your father-in-law's bid for corporate presidency until the by-laws are located.

NUMBER 6: Because the corporation can't operate without it's president, your mother asks if you want to move back in for awhile.

NUMBER 5: You're denied access to the corporate presidential hookers.

NUMBER 4: The reason why the corporate president isn't coming back is because he used to say to you, "Scratch my groin for the cameras."

NUMBER 3: You're desperately hoping that the corporate president won't come back because, "No more generic toilet paper . . . it's Charmin time!"

NUMBER 2: You're sick of him saying, "Attention: please wash your paper plates and return them to the supply closet."

AND NOW, the NUMBER ONE Problem Caused When Your Corporation Can't Find Its By-Laws - -

The company will no longer pay the corporate President's court-ordered alimony to his ex-wife, Carmen Electra.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">