• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding partner to an LLC - What is best way to do it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jinxotx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am entering into a 50/50 partnership, and we each have LLC's. The thought is to add me to his LLC. My partner suggested adding me as an officer. My thought is there is no power being an officer. How should I proceed? Thank you.

FlyingRon

Being an "officer" doesn't convey any ownership interest. You want to be a member.

You most likely need to change (or create if there isn't one) the operating agreement of the LLC you're going to use for the business to properly reflect the partnership nature of things.

adjusterjack

I am entering into a 50/50 partnership, and we each have LLC's. The thought is to add me to his LLC. My partner suggested adding me as an officer. My thought is there is no power being an officer. How should I proceed? Thank you.
LLCs don't have partners or officers so your dangerous lack of knowledge means you'd be wise to consult an attorney before you do this.

LdiJ

Either set up a brand new LLC with an operating agreement stating the respective memberships, or write a new operating agreement for his current LLC setting up the new membership arrangement.

I would vote for a new LLC unless you are buying into his current LLC. If you choose to buy into his current LLC you should examine its current debt load very carefully first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">