• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Address questions for LLC in Virginia.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r00tb33r

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am starting a home-based business and would like to register an LCC, but keeping my home address private.

Could it be possible to use a UPS mailbox as the sole address appearing in public records? (I suspect the answer is "no")

If not, could registered agent service suffice as the only address appearing in public records? Can that address also be the principal office appearing in the public records?

While it is not necessary to remain completely anonymous, for the sake of completeness of my questions, can the registered agent service also be the sole person name appearing in public records?

Is it typical for a registered agent service to also receive and hold (all) my business mail?

Can I use the UPS mailbox or registered agent service address as the sole address appearing on any financial institution documents related to my business?

Disturbed individuals are wandering around among us these days. I don't want a scenario where an (unlikely) unhappy online customer gets my home address from a bank, comes to my residence at a strange time of day and points a handgun at me, worse, shoots me in the face. I keep some expensive machinery for business, I don't want to get robbed either because my address appears somewhere.

I think my question is quite typical. I would just like a conclusive answer before I proceed forward.

Thank you in advance.

FlyingRon

A registered office can not be just a mailbox. I'm pretty sure the UPS store will not be willing to act as your registered agent (mine up here in Northern Virginia will not for sure). You can use a UPS Store mailbox as your business address, but your registered agent must be some real registered office. If you don't want to use your house (and you don't maintain another place of business), you'll have to subscribe to a registered agent service or use your attorney's address.

Note, that the registered agent/office is only the thing you must file with the SCC. Your business address that you publish elsewhere can be anything you want (PO Box, whatever). This is what I do. I get very small amounts of junk mail sent to my house from people mining the corporate records (notably american express card offerings). Everything else seems to have picked up the address I have on the business website and I use for my correspondence (and magazine subscriptions which seem to be the biggest source of junkmail).

janiekwong

No. It is not possible to use a UPS mailbox as the sole address appearing in public records. Bet you should take the advice on FlyingRon.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am starting a home-based business and would like to register an LCC, but keeping my home address private.

Could it be possible to use a UPS mailbox as the sole address appearing in public records? (I suspect the answer is "no")
I disagree with the other responses. Its quite possible that a PO Box of some sort could be the registered agent's address, but the registered agent would have to be an actual person holding that PO Box address.

If not, could registered agent service suffice as the only address appearing in public records? Can that address also be the principal office appearing in the public records?
Yes

While it is not necessary to remain completely anonymous, for the sake of completeness of my questions, can the registered agent service also be the sole person name appearing in public records?
Yes

Is it typical for a registered agent service to also receive and hold (all) my business mail?
Its possible but it would be unwieldy and possibly negative for your business.

Can I use the UPS mailbox or registered agent service address as the sole address appearing on any financial institution documents related to my business?
Again possible buy likely not in your best interest.

Disturbed individuals are wandering around among us these days. I don't want a scenario where an (unlikely) unhappy online customer gets my home address from a bank, comes to my residence at a strange time of day and points a handgun at me, worse, shoots me in the face. I keep some expensive machinery for business, I don't want to get robbed either because my address appears somewhere.

I think my question is quite typical. I would just like a conclusive answer before I proceed forward.

Thank you in advance.
I understand your concerns but the difference between a registered agent and your normal business operating address makes a world of difference in how efficiently your business can operate. Your normal business operating address can certainly be a PO Box or any other address that is not your home. That does not mean that it could or should be the address of your registered agent.

FlyingRon

I disagree with the other responses. Its quite possible that a PO Box of some sort could be the registered agent's address, but the registered agent would have to be an actual person holding that PO Box address.
I disagree. A PO Box does not meet the definition of a registered agent in Virginia. A PO BOX is a USPS mail drop only. It's possible that a PMB provider may provide those services, but as I stated, the UPS stores around here wont.

It is required that your registered agent maintain a place of business in the Commonwealth that can be physically served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">