• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult sex seminars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JillE

What is the name of your state?
I'm from PA. I'm 18 and in undergraduate school. I want to start a business holding seminars on different sexual topics for adults in the community. My main legal concerns are over the name of the company and how to copyright it and make sure it isn't already copyrighted. Also, I want to know what my limits are since I don't have a degree in counseling. I look at it like advice giving (such as dear abby) but I don't want to get sued. Thirdly, I would like information on what I would need to do in terms of income and taxes. Thank you!

divgradcurl

My main legal concerns are over the name of the company and how to copyright it and make sure it isn't already copyrighted.
Company names and the like are not covered by copyright law; they are covered by trademark law. You can search registered trademarks at www.uspto.gov; however, a trademark does not have to be registered for it to fall under the protection of trademark law. If you are really concerned, you can have an attorney do a trademark search for you.

I want to know what my limits are since I don't have a degree in counseling.
You might want to check with whatever state department in PA is responsible for licensing counselors and find out what the limits are. Of course, this is only if you are doing real counseling -- if you are doing "novelty" counseling, then you probably are outside any such restrictions -- but you should check anyway.

I look at it like advice giving (such as dear abby) but I don't want to get sued.
Well, you can't absolutely prevent someone from suing you. You may want to check out what kind of insurance you can get to protect you in case you are sued.

Thirdly, I would like information on what I would need to do in terms of income and taxes.
This will depend on how you set up your organization. Check with your local government, they should have an office that helps small businesses, they'll have the information you need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">