• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plus

What is the name of your state? CT

I am looking to start an adult website but Im not sure about much of the legality involved. I imagine everyone in pictures or movies would have to be over the age of 18 but beyond that, Im not sure what to watch out for. If someone appears nude on the site in a picture or video, do they need to sign a contract saying its ok for me to post it on the site? If so, is this a contract I could write myself or find somewhere?

Im also curious how everything works in that it is an internet site. Beyond CT state laws, what else to I need to know? Or do i only need to pay attention to federal laws?

thanks guys

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? CT

I am looking to start an adult website but Im not sure about much of the legality involved. I imagine everyone in pictures or movies would have to be over the age of 18 but beyond that, Im not sure what to watch out for. If someone appears nude on the site in a picture or video, do they need to sign a contract saying its ok for me to post it on the site? If so, is this a contract I could write myself or find somewhere?

Im also curious how everything works in that it is an internet site. Beyond CT state laws, what else to I need to know? Or do i only need to pay attention to federal laws?

thanks guys
At a minimum, you will need signed releases from any model appearing on your site, along with proof of age. There are federal regulations that cover the necessary paperwork involved, do a google search or talk with a local attorney. Your state may also have laws covering such things, go to your state's website and review the statutes for your state (they should be online). You might also want to consider working with an attorney, to make sure you don't run afoul of any state or federal laws.

PepperLegal

The federal recordkeeping requirements for adult entertainment businesses (commonly known as the 2257 regulations) were updated earlier this year to GREATLY increase the burden on both primary AND secondary producers of adult content considered "obscene." The regulations affect content that was produced after a certain date - I typically counsel my clients to obtain the 2257 paperwork from nearly all content providers. Of course, if you are producing your own content for your website, the 2257 regulations would continue to apply as before.

You should get at least two forms of picture identification from any model that would be governed by the 2257 regulations. You also need to be very careful about how you solicit the talent for your site - this activity is governed not only by your state's laws, but also the specific county or township you reside in. This is not an area to get into without having competent counsel advising you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">