• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice needed on how to register

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ryan

I'm planning on registering as a home business but I'm not sure whether I should do it as a sole proprietorship or an LLC.

The details:
* my business will include anything I do where I may make money: web design, freelance writinger, etc., but it will mainly cover my music production/very small record label as well as a new online broadcasting venture I'll be starting soon.

* I will be the only one involved -- there will be no one on the payroll.

* This is expected to be mainly a low-income venture -- I don't expect to make much (if any) profit. It's more to just make sure that when I sell things, broadcast, etc. that I'm doing it legally.

I don't expect there to be any instances where I'll be sued (I'm purchasing the appropriate licenses from BMI/ASCAP for broadcasting, etc.), except for perhaps with the music production part of my business. My music is sample-based, though the samples are often extremely small (1 or 2 seconds long) and frequently distorted or filtered in such a way that they're unrecognizable. But, the potential is there to be sued, which is why I'm questionable about sole proprietorship.

What would be the adviseable route to take?

Thanks... Ryan

T

Tracey

Get some library books on incorporating your business. They will discuss the different business forms and pros & cons of each. I favor an S-corp or LLC, but they are more expensive to set up and require more time to maintain.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">