• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after 2 years can I still collect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmcowl

I own a small heating and cooling co. A builder we used to deal with hit hard times and has not paid $11,000 (which was due in August of 1998). We used to talk to him frequently and he has always said he will pay once his finances get better. We faithfully send monthly billing with interest due. He recently wrote a letter to all of the people he owes money to, thanking us for our patience and stating that he should be able to pay part "if not all" of the outstanding debts.
Any comments on where I stand in collecting any money.Joan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jmcowl:
I own a small heating and cooling co. A builder we used to deal with hit hard times and has not paid $11,000 (which was due in August of 1998). We used to talk to him frequently and he has always said he will pay once his finances get better. We faithfully send monthly billing with interest due. He recently wrote a letter to all of the people he owes money to, thanking us for our patience and stating that he should be able to pay part "if not all" of the outstanding debts.
Any comments on where I stand in collecting any money.Joan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Assuming that every penny of the debt is in writing; e.g., P.O.'s, etc., then Michigan has a 6 year Statute of Limitations on written debts. Also, the time is measured from the date of the last payment.

Write back to him to ask what he means by "should be able to pay part" - - how much and when such much happen. Suggest a monthly payment plan for X dollars per month. Be aware that he might file for Bankruptcy protection, and you may only get, as an example, 10 cents on the dollar, or even, nothing.

In the future, never allow debts to rise over a certain, lower, ceiling.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">