• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I obligated to pay for advertising for a company that doesn't exist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjr928

I am a wedding invitation designer and I owned an LLC. I signed up for advertising on TheKnot.com for $105/month. It was a 6 month "minimum commitment." (this was not a signed contract). It didn't yield a single client, or even a single inquiry of any kind, despite the fact that the account exec verbally guaranteed me business beforehand.

After 5 months of advertising I was forced to close my business. I dissolved my company on Nov 30 and forwarded my Letter of Dissolution to The Knot and told them to cancel all advertising effective immediately. They gave me a hard time and said that I "couldn't" stop advertising before the 6 month mark. I even said to them "are you seriously going to try and make me pay for advertising for a company that doesn't exist?" and the short answer was Yes. There was a lot of back and forth. I never looked at the site to see if they continued the advertising after our conversation, but I am assuming that they went ahead and posted the ad anyway, even though I repeatedly asked them not to.

So anyway, my business was closed down, my credit cards closed, etc, and so the payment never went through.

Today I got a call from them saying that I owe them $105 for the last month. Do I legally have to pay this? I know $105 isn't a lot of money, but it's a lot to me, and I just feel like I'm being bullied by a bigger company.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">