• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Deposit Not Received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lrs

I am a resident of Tennessee and my problem is that I have not received my refundable security deposit for an apartment within the 30-day time period stated in my lease agreement. I vacated the apartment on Sept. 2, 2000. There is a statement in my lease agreement, signed by myself and the apartment manager(s), that says any refundable deposit must be returned within 30 days. I called the manager last week (week of Sept. 25th) and inquired about when I could expect a check. She verbally restated the 30-day policy about refunds from the lease and checked the actual amount I am due. She also checked to see if payment had been mailed from their Alabama home office. She found that I am due a slightly reduced amount because I vacated the apartment on the 2nd day of Sept. instead of Aug. 31, but no record of payment was discovered and she asked me to notify her the following week if I still did not receive anything. I still have not received a check and I have called the office again this week. I am still waiting on a reply and would like to be informed when my call is returned. I just wanted to know if this is considered a broken contract and what my rights are in this situation. I'm not necessarily looking for any more monetary reimbursment than I am due, and I certainly don't want to expend any more than I have, I just want the apartment community to be held to the same standards renter's are required to uphold. If the situation were reversed, they would certainly not hesitate to turn my account over to a collection agency or some similar action to get their money!

[This message has been edited by lrs (edited October 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by lrs (edited October 04, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">