• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arbitration in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I loaned a friend &7000. Am suing for breach of contract using myself as atty, and a document prep svc. to file. Have filed action and lis pendens on her house to prevent losing the money to bankruptcy. She went to an atty whose letter says I have to cause of action. I can withdraw w/in 5 days, or this goes to arbitration and I pay legal costs if I lose and half the arbitration cost. I think I have case, but feel intimidated. What might this cost? Also, does a person have to represent themself at arbitration, or can they use an atty there?
Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

T

Tracey

You can & should take an attorney to arbitration, especially if you're going up against another attorney. Also, in preparing for the arbitraton, your attorney will tell you if you really have a case or not. I hope you have the loan in writing. Even a scrap of paper or an email with "IOU $7,000" or "$7,000 @ 8%" will be invaluable. You may have a statute of frauds problem otherwise. (This could be why the attorney says you have no cause of action.)

Do you have to consent to arbitration in your state? Personally, I think mandatory arbitration sucks rotten eggs. But that's another rant for another time....

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">