• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Audio/Video Surveillance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ToddVMaine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I am installing a video surveillance system with audio capabilities in a local retail business. Maine is a single party consent state. It is my understanding that I can satisfy the consent requirement for employees by requiring them to sign a consent form. However, I am concerned about customers. Will affixing stickers to each entry door warning of audio/video surveillance be sufficient enough to provide consent of customers? Furthermore, will these notifications satisfy the requirement for employees as well? All cameras are readily visible to both employees and customers.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I am installing a video surveillance system with audio capabilities in a local retail business. Maine is a single party consent state. It is my understanding that I can satisfy the consent requirement for employees by requiring them to sign a consent form. However, I am concerned about customers. Will affixing stickers to each entry door warning of audio/video surveillance be sufficient enough to provide consent of customers? Furthermore, will these notifications satisfy the requirement for employees as well? All cameras are readily visible to both employees and customers.
What did your alarm/security camera installer say when you asked him these questions? :cool:

ToddVMaine

I am the installer. This isn't my trade - it's a side job for a friend. They posed the legal question when I asked them if they wanted stickers for the windows. I've been researching it for days and have found plenty of information regarding video but the audio side seems to be a bit more ambiguous.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">