• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Band Business vs. Publishing Company Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheReckoning

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My band recently finished recording its album. In order to register with protective rights societies, we had to have a publishing company. We had just formed and LLP for the band and used that as our publishing company. The problem now though is I'm wondering if that was alright. When we formed the LLP it was formed as a business with the primary function of performing live music and selling related merchandise. Now though the business name is being used as a publishing company. Also, do we need to form a separate business for the band or can the band and publishing company be the same legal business entity?:confused:
Thank you for any and all help with this, I've been going crazy looking at all sorts of sources on line and in books.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">