• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the bank in the wrong? PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelsabove

Clarification---Is the bank in the wrong? PLEASE HELP!

What is the name of your state? IL

SEE BELOW SECOND RESPONSE.

This morning a pre-approved transfer from an organization was made into our personal account as part of a reimbursement. (by bank teller 1)
Teller #2 confirmed this at 11 a.m. She also expressed her concern that this was not authorized. I then informed her that it was authorized and she is more than welcome to call and verify.
Teller #2 later went into our personal checking account and withdrew the ammount that had been previously transfered At 2:15. After the withdraw she called and told me she made the withdraw because she checked with a couple of people to see if it was authorized. But the two people she talked to had no authority on the matter. ( I called the two people)
Regardless that she had any suspicion she went into our account without our authorization and withdrew the money.
What can I do? Is the bank in the wrong? can bank personnel legally withdraw from an account without authorization? What is my recourse?

Last edited:

JETX

"What can I do?"
*** See below.

"Is the bank in the wrong?"
*** Depends entirely on the FULL details (which we clearly haven't heard). Where did the funds come from?? In what form?? What made her suspicous??

"can bank personnel legally withdraw from an account without authorization?"
*** Yes. Examples would be the deposited funds from a bounced check being reversed. Or a stolen or fraudulent check being deposited. So, what was it that made this employee suspicious of the deposit or transfer???

"What is my recourse?"
*** Depends on the full facts.

A

angelsabove

Clarification

On Monday morning funds were transferred from a PTO fund to my account to cover a reimbursement. It was authorized by the treasurer. So there was no problem there. Recently teller #2 was nominated to be the new PTO treasurer for this school year. She wanted to know if this was approved by the PTO Board. she was told by the treasurer and me the President that it was approved. But regardless of the approval or disapproval of a PTO Board as a bank officer she was only to validate the transaction not go to third parties to collect information ( when those third parties were not even involved in the meetings) She disregarded the current Treasures authorization and took upon herself to withdraw the funds.
I feel that she has violated my rights by getting into my account after the transaction was completed by the first teller. Then she involved third parties into this. She more or less used her bank authority to override the PTO president and treasurer.
She was rude and had no regard for privacy of my account.
Last night I talked to the Bank Officer and he told me that he would take care of it and call me in the morning.
Today teller #2 called the treasurer and asked if she really wanted the funds transferred? The treasurer informed her yes it should have been completed yesterday morning. She said fine and hungup on her.
I didn't even hear from the Bank Officer. But spoke to an assistant and she said the teller was in the wrong!
I want to know how anyone has the power to go into another persons account without that authorization?
How third parties can be involved and now know my personal banking business?
Not to mention I live in a small town of 400 people and alot of people now know. Because of who she talked to.
My spouse is furious because it is his account also and he feels that we should have been asked before she got into account.
I asked for a printout of the bank statement from my last statement to date. On the form it was deleted so that it does not show up. But the bank officers assistant said that happened because she deleted it before the end of cash day. Does this mean if you make a deposit into a bank she has the authority to delete it and do what she wants?
What do I do?

JETX

"What do I do?"
*** Well, you're not going to like this but...
You have pretty much done what can be done. That was to complain to the bank management about their employees actions. If you feel that they didn't response properly to your complaint, you can take your account elsewhere.

And yes, if you really have a wild hair, you can file a complaint with your states banking commissioner (assuming it is a state and not a federal bank). If federal, then you would have to file your complaint at that level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">