• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banks and Discrimination...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Denali

I have searched 12USC and 12CFR for information on if banks are allowed to dicriminate against a certain class of people when offering services to their customers. I live in the state of Kansas, so their may be a state staute as well... Can ay one help?

Thanks in advance

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Denali:
I have searched 12USC and 12CFR for information on if banks are allowed to dicriminate against a certain class of people when offering services to their customers. I live in the state of Kansas, so their may be a state staute as well... Can ay one help?

Thanks in advance
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and no. Banks can not discriminate against anyone that comes in to obtain normal bank services as a customer such as opening a checking or savings account, applying for a loan, credit card etc. Banks can refuse to give you credit and a loan if you do not qualify based on your income, credit history etc. Banks can also offer additional services to different classes of customers such as free checks with a $500 deposit to an existing account, free trip to Las Vegas if you open a second $10,000 CD etc.

D

Denali

Lets take a look at your first sentence, as that is what I'm talking about. Where in the law does it say they can't discriminate in those style services (such as making a withdrawl) in the law? Thanks for the reply and the help!

JETX

Your question regarding 'discrimination' is too vague. Please detail how/when you feel that you were discriminated against. This will allow a more detailed answer.

Otherwise, this thread will go back and forth without a solid resolution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">