• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned entry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

queenofchaos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
What can I do to keep someone from entering my place of business? It is a bar/restaurant. This person and one of my employees had an altercation two years ago (physical) that has been settled in court (my employee pled quilty to aggravated assault and is on two years probation) this former patron has stayed away for the last two years and now wants to come back in the bar....I don't think this is a good idea....this patron caused several problems with his behavior on previous occasions....and I don't want there to be trouble again....what legal steps can I take?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

las365

He says he has a "legal" right to be there as long as he doesn't cause any problems.....
Well, no he doesn't. It is legal for you to reasonably refuse service to someone as long as it is not based on illegal discrimination.

Let him explain his legal right to stay after you have asked him to leave to the police offficers who respond to your call.

I know you don't want to call the police to come to your place of business. It is an undesirable option. But it is better than going and spending a bunch of money and time to get a civil restraining order.

If you have a good idea of when he is likely to show up, it is best for YOU to be there to deal with it instead of leaving it to your employees. If I were you, I would have a procedure in place for them to call you immediately when he tries to enter the place.

cyjeff

Well, no he doesn't. It is legal for you to reasonably refuse service to someone as long as it is not based on illegal discrimination.

Let him explain his legal right to stay after you have asked him to leave to the police offficers who respond to your call.

I know you don't want to call the police to come to your place of business. It is an undesirable option. But it is better than going and spending a bunch of money and time to get a civil restraining order.

If you have a good idea of when he is likely to show up, it is best for YOU to be there to deal with it instead of leaving it to your employees. If I were you, I would have a procedure in place for them to call you immediately when he tries to enter the place.
Agreed.

Unless his name is on the lease, he doesn't have a right to be there.

Just because a business is open to the public doesn't make it public property... and anyone can be barred for any or no reason.

If the bad man comes back, call the police and have him arrested for trespassing. If you have him arrested twice for trespassing, have him arrested for harassment and/or stalking.

Etc, etc.

You may want to tell the bad man you are going to do this first in the hopes that a criminal record (and you can print out some of the folks on here that are trying to get stuff expunged just so that they can find work) will make him see the value in obtaining his frosty adult beverages somewhere else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">