• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for repayment of commissions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ctisystems

I was an independent agent for a long distance company in 1997. On Nov.19,1997 they filed Chapter 11. I received notification on 7/31/00 that I am being sued for the commissions paid me for 90 days prior to the filing. Questions are:]
1) What is the statute of limitations for their filing to recover.
2) I cannot pay this money back ($7,600,or hire an attorney, what are the consequences if I ignore this.
3) They sent this through the mail to the wrong address. There was no signature required. Can I claim that I did not receive anything?

B

BBMAN

I'm sure 3 years qualifies with statues of limitiations, but if you were an employee - there are specific labor laws within each state. I had some luck with iwon.com and typed "texas state labor" for my state Texas. I got to the list of all labor laws. Too bad I'm an indie contractor because labor laws do not apply to me.

Now I would think that if you earned the $ on a commission, regardless if that client paid the corporate office, you should be able to keep it. It seems that would be a biz expense listed under bonus or commission. I find it odd that after 3 years they want it back. But who is it that wants it back? The original owners after the company went down the drain? Is that in your contract?

P

peter

This is going to require a little detective work....

Were you on a draw? paid ahead of recieving commissions? Then it has to be paid back as long as the company is still in bankruptcy court.... Or was the $7600 actually earned by you and the company owe each other Nothing?

That is the question........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ctisystems:
I was an independent agent for a long distance company in 1997. On Nov.19,1997 they filed Chapter 11. I received notification on 7/31/00 that I am being sued for the commissions paid me for 90 days prior to the filing. Questions are:]
1) What is the statute of limitations for their filing to recover.
2) I cannot pay this money back ($7,600,or hire an attorney, what are the consequences if I ignore this.
3) They sent this through the mail to the wrong address. There was no signature required. Can I claim that I did not receive anything?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C

ctisystems

Let me clarify this further. My company had a contract with the long distance carrier. They paid my company (me)a commission on the money collected from the accounts I brought to them. When they were paid, I was paid. Why should I have to pay the money back?

P

peter

I think you answered the question.....you were paid after and not before the company was paid...

I think they should prove to you that you owe them the money...i bet they cant!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ctisystems:
Let me clarify this further. My company had a contract with the long distance carrier. They paid my company (me)a commission on the money collected from the accounts I brought to them. When they were paid, I was paid. Why should I have to pay the money back?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

Let me clarify this further. My company had a contract with the long distance carrier. They paid my company (me)a commission on the money collected from the accounts I brought to them. When they were paid, I was paid. Why should I have to pay the money back?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't, as the money paid to you was for earned commissions paid to you under your independent contractor agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">