• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best Business Entity for my situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taccomc

I have a company where I am the sole owner, the business is service oriented, we do energy calculations for new buildings in the state of California only. Our customers are architects, designers, and contractors in California. I have a partner who is a 1099 independent contractor. The partner does most of the calculations (75% to date). My main role is sales, marketing, accounting. I currently own no real estate but as this business grows that is where I will be putting my profits. This is a new business started Jan 2005, estimated gross sales this year will be around $60,000. My goal is to have the best tax shelter, short term goals are being able to purchase a new car using the corporation and writing off health insurance benefits.

I have 2 different views I have read: 1) Service Organizations like Architects and the like, cannot be C Corps. 2) If I have my spouse as a 6% shareholder and she does not participate in the business I can qualify as a C Corp. Which business entity would be best for me? Are the benefits worth it for incorporating in Nevada or Wyoming if my customers are 100% in California?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">