• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best method for family stock invest./distribution ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yogabro

What is the name of your state? California

I am organizing a stock purchase for myself and my family. I am purchasing shares from a former employee of a company which is expected to go public soon.
The company has approved our stock sale and now the questions for me are this:

1) What is the best(easiest and legal) method for handling this type of transaction ?

a) I have a stock purchase agreement with my name and the seller's name on it. I am considering adding to the agreement, stock distribution instructions so that the company has on file the names of my family members and the # of shares to distribute to each person. I believe this would mean that each person would be responsible for their own tax consequences.
I hope then the company will give these instructions to the transfer agent who will then assign the shares to each person at the appropriate time. Thus, I would avoid the possible tax burden of doing the transfers from my personal account. Do you know of a company and transfer agent can even provide this ?

b)The alternative is a simple partnership but I would rather not get too legaleze if possible.

c) Having my family give me their money and I invest on their behalf from my account,and transfer the shares back to their accounts after I receive all of the shares back to my account. Any downside of doing this ? I know there is a 12 K gifting limit and the transfers of stock would be well above this.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Thank you for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">