• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bookkeeping Certification required to start business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newVAmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am about to graduate from community college with a bookkeeping certificate and I'm in the process of also obtaining an associates in accounting degree. I haven't had a job as a bookkeeper yet, but I've done some minor accounting work for the office that I currently work at (my main employement has nothing to do with accounting). now that I will have my bookkeeping certificate I've been approached by an aquintance who wants me to do the bookkeeping and payroll for his small hvac company. I've looked at the work load and I'm confident that I can get the work done, but I'm not sure if I should have him hire me as a typical employee or if I should have him hire me as a vendor (i.e. start my own business). my main concern is that I'm not certified by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers. I have no doubt that I can get the job done, but would I be able to start a bookkeeping business in the state without professional certification? I'm asking because my kids sports club has also asked for my help with their bookkeeping.

I'm asking this because in order to be certified I need at least 2 years of work experience before I can take the certification exam.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tranquility

While if you start your own business you might tout the fact you have such a certification, it is not required. That is a private company and has no official status.

newVAmom

so the professional certification offered by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers is not required to start the business and start charging clients?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Doesn't your school offer information on this this type of question? (Serious question, not being sarcastic)

newVAmom

I didn't think to ask the school because I thought it would be a matter of the state deciding if the professional certification is required to start the business. I take all my classes online so I'm not sure who to ask. I thought maybe someone on here would know.

tranquility

so the professional certification offered by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers is not required to start the business and start charging clients?
No more than you need professional certification from Leroy's Institute of Professional Bookkeepers.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I didn't think to ask the school because I thought it would be a matter of the state deciding if the professional certification is required to start the business. I take all my classes online so I'm not sure who to ask. I thought maybe someone on here would know.
The school should have advisers that are familiar with this sort of thing. I suppose this is the downside to remote learning.

Antigone*

Speaking strictly from a tax perspective, it would be to your advantage to be an employee. It would be to his advantage for you to be an independant contractor.

You will want to look at the IRS guidelines for ICs and determine whether or not it would be appropriate for you to be classified that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">