• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breach of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jengaj

I hired a painting contractor to paint the exterior of a triplex in CA. He's been working on the job since July. I finally got a written contract from him in August and the finish date in the contract was to be September 15, 2000. This date was set by him. It's October 5th and he rarely shows up to work. It's a real bad job,he didn't tape anything off, there's paint on mailboxes, lamps, stairs, etc. I don't know if I should just wait for him to finish or kick him off the job? If I let him finish can I pay him less than what was agreed? At one point he had said "I'll be a couple of days late completing the job so I'll give you a discount". And a couple days later he took that back.
I would greatly appreciate any advise you can give me. Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jengaj:
I hired a painting contractor to paint the exterior of a triplex in CA. He's been working on the job since July. I finally got a written contract from him in August and the finish date in the contract was to be September 15, 2000. This date was set by him. It's October 5th and he rarely shows up to work. It's a real bad job,he didn't tape anything off, there's paint on mailboxes, lamps, stairs, etc. I don't know if I should just wait for him to finish or kick him off the job? If I let him finish can I pay him less than what was agreed? At one point he had said "I'll be a couple of days late completing the job so I'll give you a discount". And a couple days later he took that back.
I would greatly appreciate any advise you can give me. Thank you
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I've got news for you - - he's not a "contractor" - - he's a fly-by-night, unlicensed "handyman", at best.

Kick him to the curb, and pay him for his materials only. Then, when he scoffs, tell him you're also going to sue him for the mess he made. So, take LOTS of detailed, 35mm, pictures.

Also, get a REAL contractor, and one with a verifiable license, to give you an estimate for cleanup, and completion of the work.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">