• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burlesque Laws in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vinfiore1986

I'm looking to start a pop up gentleman’s club concept in the New York City (NYC) area. In summary, it would be an exclusive, members only, strip club that would change locations every night. I need to understand more about the burlesque laws in NYC. Do I need any special licenses? What are the legal “gotchas” that I need to watch out for? I want this to be just as legal and compliant as any other gentlemen’s club in NYC. By the way, this is a legitimate request for information and not a joke. Many thanks.

FlyingRon

I suspect the "burlesque" issues aren't anything compared to the NYC liquor/hospitality laws. You'll need an attorney to navigate the licensure. Even in the outerboroughs the lawyer will be the least of your costs.

quincy

I'm looking to start a pop up gentleman’s club concept in the New York City (NYC) area. In summary, it would be an exclusive, members only, strip club that would change locations every night. I need to understand more about the burlesque laws in NYC. Do I need any special licenses? What are the legal “gotchas” that I need to watch out for? I want this to be just as legal and compliant as any other gentlemen’s club in NYC. By the way, this is a legitimate request for information and not a joke. Many thanks.
The actual licensing for burlesque clubs is not all that costly but you are bound to have problems with the nightly location change (as well as liquor licensing). I agree with FlyingRon that you will need to sit down with an attorney in your area to personally discuss all of the many legal issues that complicate your proposed concept for a gentleman's club.

Despite your claim that your request is a legitimate one and not a joke, I think LeeHarveyBlotto nicely pointed out that the way you worded your post is funny.

FlyingRon

As I said, the problem is with the liquor license. I presume you are either going to sell alcohol or allow it to be consumed. Either way, you'll need a license. NY has rather arcane licensing laws based not only on what alcohol you are selling but what entertainment you are offering. I used to have a friend who ran a bar in the village, he could only have, if I could remember it correctly, three performers at any given time.

single317dad

These already exist in pretty much every large city as a limo service. The service offered amounts to no more than an "adult entertainment party" on wheels. The markets are pretty saturated though.

NYC is close to the ocean though -- just a thought, though I'm sure a few have beaten me to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">