• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business and Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

responsibledad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi everyone,

I have never been a dead beat dad. I have joint custody of my son with my ex-wife, and I never missed a child support payment. My problem is, my ex-wife seems to want more, even though we share a 50/50 custody of our son. I was unemployed for four months, and was forced to start my own company to support my kid and new wife. My new wife, being a new immigrant, still cannot help pay the bills, because her papers are still being processed. Thus, she cannot legally work yet.

Currently, I live in a one-bedroom apartment with my unemployed wife. On the other hand, my ex-wife lives in a 4 bedroom house with her fiancee, who makes six-figure salary. We share the custody, her standard of living is better off, and she wants more child support for a 5 year old boy? That's so greedy.

They just had a baby together, so she has stopped working for 3 months now. Knowing her and my experience with her, she doesn't want to work. I am sure she will stop working now, and thus, she will use that excuse to gain more child support.

As I said, I am self-employed now. I started a consulting company this December, and I just incorporated it as an LLC. I am wondering if she can take more child support from me even if the profits are the business's money. Do you think I should change my business type to S-Corp or C-Corp to protect the money from my greedy ex-wife?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">