• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business and e-mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nasdaqsam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I thought I read somewhere that is was a law that all electronic communication (E-mail) in a business had to retained. Our particular business is housing and we are beginning to do a lot of communicating with potential and existing customers/clients via E-mail.

I have searched for an answer to this with out success.

Is this in fact true?

Regards

seniorjudge

I thought I read somewhere that is was a law that all electronic communication (E-mail) in a business had to retained.

What kind of business?

Some Random Guy

For larger publicly traded companies that fall under the Sarbanes-Oxley regulations, the SOX law has been interpreted to mean that all relevant electronic comminucation, including e-mail, must be kept forever. Most sane people want this changed to that it is not quite so costly, but that's the law for now.

If you do not fall under this law, you are still required to store e-mails that may pertain to any pending or threatened litigation. Destruction of those e-mails, evern inadvertently, may cause you be heavily sanctioned by the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">