• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business License ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello, I opened up a small business LLC in New Jersey over 10 years ago, but recently moved to PA. (it's still registered in NJ though)

It's basically a work-at-home off of affiliate commissions from websites type of business. I never actually sell physical items , and I have no employees. It's just me and my laptop. At that time I was told I just need to open up the LLC with an attorney and i'm good to go. Which is what I did.

But now, the more I read online, it's like the more I need in general to run the business.

Business License ? Does this even apply to me ? (if so, i'm baffled why nobody told me earlier that it's required)

I'm also reading now about a Home Occupation Permit . the definition says :

Many city and county zoning and planning agencies require all home-based businesses to get a Home Occupation Permit. If a permit is not required in your city, the zoning office can tell you if your neighborhood is zoned for the home business activity you plan to conduct. If your area is not zoned for your type of business, you may need to file for a variance or conditional-use permit.
any help is much appreciated

Last edited:

racer72

There could be hundreds of different jurisdictions in your state. Because we don't know exactly where you live, I would suggest talking to a local attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
(if so, i'm baffled why nobody told me earlier that it's required)
Because it's not their job to do so. It's your job to figure these things out. You now seem to have begun that research (albeit, ten years late.)

myrtlepolle

You may want to find a local business attorney who understands your industry that can help you create an agreement for you with standard terms that actually apply to the business you're currently running.

This may also help as well: https://www.sba.gov/blogs/run-home-based-business-find-licenses-and-permits-you-need

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">