• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frownsarefun

I want to start a music booking agency. The nature of this business is similar to a web based consulting business, where I am providing a service but it is via phone/fax/email/web, I am based out of one location (my home) and my clients can be based anywhere in the world.

I live in NJ at the moment, but am planning on moving overseas in the next year and want to get going on this business now, so I know I have the Sole Proprietor/DBA and the LLC as my best options, since I will have no employees. But I am confused over business names because the one thing I don`t want to deal with is someone else having the same name as me.

So once I have a name, is there a sure fire way to register it so I am protected and don`t have to change it down the road?

I know you can submit an application to your home state and also federal government for trade mark or service mark registration, but I don`t think that necessarily means the same name is available when you register for your business.

I need an easy explanation of what the best thing to do is.

If I do a DBA in Ocean County, NJ as WHITE NOISE INUDSTRIES (music consulting business), does this mean that someone can file a DBA in Middlesex County, NJ with the exact same name? Would it have to be a different industry or can that be sam, too? Can someone form an LLC in NJ or another State with the same exact business name (either a DBA and/or an LLC)?

Would having the Federal Service Mark registered prevent this or no? I thought I read that you don`t even have to file the trade mark/service mark in order to claim ownership of it, which just confused me even more.

I need help desperately because I just want to find a name, check its availability but not have to close business bank accounts/credit cards, websites, etc 6 months later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">