• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Name Question - Confusing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmsmith2032

This is a bit confusing but hopefully I can explain it properly**************.a number of years ago I created a corporation in Illinois. About six months ago I dissolved this corporation. Now I want to restart the same type of business but want to open it as a sole proprietorship (with the hopes of converting to a LLC in a number of years if the business takes off)). To open a sole proprietorship I only need to file with our county. My question is whether or not I can use the same name, or do I need to create a new one. I never had any clients (did open a bank account and applied for an EIN number though). Thanks in advance!

pmsmith2032

Thanks FlyingRon. I did a search as you suggested and my old corporation did come up. When I clicked on the name, the next screen showed the following:

Secretary Name & Address: VOLUNTARY DISSOLUTION 09 18 13
Duration Date: PERPETUAL

I'm not sure if this means it's available or not?

FlyingRon

The easiest way to find out is to call the number on that page and ask. Note, that LLC etc... are often part of the official name so dropping that may be sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">