• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business name trademark infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thewaydownx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah.

Hello,

I am in the process of starting up an operation where I will be selling hand-made goods. I will most likely not be getting a business license unless that becomes necessary later on down the line, since it will be a one man operation, and I cant see it becoming any significant size in the near future.

I have searched all of the online databases I could find, and performed a google search for my proposed business name (old moon leather), and the only thing I could find was a couple of expired amazon listings with the user name being the same name I plan to use ( http://www.amazon.com/Old-moon-Wallet-Leather-Credit-Protector-Purple/dp/B00H53E4KM ), only with a dash in between the two words. After clicking the name to link to the users profile, it said the user no longer existed. I checked to see if a domain would be available with the same name, and it was. The item was an accessory, and I plan on selling accessories. I also noticed that the ad also says (TM) next to the name. Would it be considered infringement if I used the same name but without the dash included, and how would I find out if that company even still exists, or if the trademark is still even valid?

Another side question: If I wanted to use the word "company" or "co." in the name, ie . "old moon leather co.", is that legal if i don't have it registered as a business?

Thank you for your advice

Zayne

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">