• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Title Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nocal777

Business Title Question - Exposure to Litigation

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am planning to join a small start-up (S-Corporation) located in CA (where it will derive most, if not all, of its revenue) and incorporated in NV. While I don't anticipate the company to be sued, I am worried about protecting my personal assets if it were to occur.

Right now, I would be brought on as the CFO and Head of Business Development. The company does not have D&O insurance, so I'm wondering if VP of Finance and Head of Business Development would be a better title arrangement for me.

My question is would the latter prevent me from being listed as a director/officer of the company and thus have my personal assets protected from litigation against the company? And, if not, do any of you have a suggestion on how to better handle the titles.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">