• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business in Turmoil

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

__uncertain__

A co-worker and I recently started a home business. She had the idea for a bakery and asked me to be a part of it. I agreed, then designed, as well as purchased business cards and advertising magnets for my vehicle. I began working diligently to advertise and get our name out there via social media platforms. We both purchased ingredients to get started. Initially we would work together on projects and share the ingredients, but then she went away for work so I was filling the majority of orders. She also began refusing to split the workload saying we would always work out of her home because she had children and her time was more important than my own. This forced me to have to buy a whole new set of ingredients out of my own pocket. I drafted up a contract for a partnership to protect us as I could see things getting a little out of hand. When I gave it to her, she got upset, refused to sign it and said the business was hers and I have no right to it. What do I do? I have put a lot of time and money into this and I won't walk away and just let her have what I built.

quincy

A co-worker and I recently started a home business. She had the idea for a bakery and asked me to be a part of it. I agreed, then designed, as well as purchased business cards and advertising magnets for my vehicle. I began working diligently to advertise and get our name out there via social media platforms. We both purchased ingredients to get started. Initially we would work together on projects and share the ingredients, but then she went away for work so I was filling the majority of orders. She also began refusing to split the workload saying we would always work out of her home because she had children and her time was more important than my own. This forced me to have to buy a whole new set of ingredients out of my own pocket. I drafted up a contract for a partnership to protect us as I could see things getting a little out of hand. When I gave it to her, she got upset, refused to sign it and said the business was hers and I have no right to it. What do I do? I have put a lot of time and money into this and I won't walk away and just let her have what I built.
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

If I understand your post correctly, you have no written or signed contract that governs your partnership. Did you acquire the proper state and local licensing and inspections for your business prior to start-up?

__uncertain__

What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

If I understand your post correctly, you have no written or signed contract that governs your partnership. Did you acquire the proper state and local licensing and inspections for your business prior to start-up?

We are in the state of VA. We have a written contract, that I created but she's refusing to sign it. I am listed on all the accounts and have access to such. We do not have licensing or the required inspections either. I was finishing up the details on all of that when things started going bad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">