• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business in wife's name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floradelaluna

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Dh has been a subcontractor for over 15 years. A few years ago he became incorporated. I am currently an employee of the business (which, by the way, isn't doing well and is in deep, deep debt.) Today I was talking with a woman who has just started a sole proprietorship in her own name, and her husband does the work and is the employee. She says there are tax advantages to this because being a woman, she's the minority. I was puzzled that our CPA never mentioned this, and she says it is a way to protect yourself (the wife.) I'm a little confused, and I, personally have never developed a relationship with the CPA. She was also talking about LLC Corporations protecting against bankruptcy, which I know nothing about. I feel sure we are doing something wrong (other than the terrible housing market?), but what else is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">