• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying real estate as S Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nick71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My post didn't publish earlier for some reason.
I own a S corp with my sibling, each holding 50% shares. There is an opportunity to buy a building for our business and I'd like to know the pros and the cons (legal, tax, etc). of buying as an S-corp vs buying it under our own individual names. We're paying cash so there is no issue of borrowing money.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My post didn't publish earlier for some reason.
I own a S corp with my sibling, each holding 50% shares. There is an opportunity to buy a building for our business and I'd like to know the pros and the cons (legal, tax, etc). of buying as an S-corp vs buying it under our own individual names. We're paying cash so there is no issue of borrowing money.
**A: are you paying cash? If not, talk to a mortgage broker about the mountains of paperwork required for a corp. real estate purchase.

davew128

Using a corporation to hold real estate is a VERY stupid idea. Since I'm not in magazine article writing mode at the moment, interested people can google exactly why that is.

FlyingRon

It would depend on the details, but if the option is holding investment or income property by a single shareholder S corporation versus just holding it directly in your name, the benefit eludes me. It makes it harder to finance, actually potentially worse tax treatment, as well as hardly any liability benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">