• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a restaurant/bar with a prior DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billydawg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I have two DUI arrests. One in 2001 and one in 2012. Both cases I blew barely over the limit. Got a pre-trial diversion for both, I wasn't convicted. I'm about to buy a restaurant/bar with a friend and was wondering if this could interfere with anything. Mostly thinking about our liquor license, my personal pouring license, etc. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks.

LdiJ

I have two DUI arrests. One in 2001 and one in 2012. Both cases I blew barely over the limit. Got a pre-trial diversion for both, I wasn't convicted. I'm about to buy a restaurant/bar with a friend and was wondering if this could interfere with anything. Mostly thinking about our liquor license, my personal pouring license, etc. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks.
That is very much a local question. However, conceivably yes, that could impact the ability to get licensed. You are going to have to speak to someone local who specializes in liquor license cases.

Jeffy25

Thanks.
As long as it isn't a felony, then you should be fine.

I actually have two DUI's as well, and was able to open a Brewery in Missouri. Since neither is a felony, they didn't care and the TTB still gave us our licensing.

But, you should call them and make certain that your particular case won't be an issue. But it wasn't an issue for me.

CdwJava

Thanks.
It would appear you should be fine, provided these do not appear as "convictions" on your state criminal history.

http://www.liq.wa.gov/licensing/apply-liquor-license

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">