• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA: New business - best structure for retail with family? (and legally non-family)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jg916

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Have had significant experience with businesses under my own sole proprietorship in the past - but this was typically me doing my own thing (no employees, limited risk, etc.)

I'm planning to start a retail (thrift) store together with long time girlfriend and not sure what the best structure would be for this venture...

Here's some background of this venture:

- I will be providing all initial capital required for start up & operation
- In process of leasing retail space and securing liability insurance
- I would need to retain controlling interest & management decisions for the company

- There would be constant interaction with the public, potential to be sued. (??? Vs. Goodwill Industries?... that would be a benchmark I suppose)

- My girlfriend & her family member(s) want to help with the business. I would like to make them partners of sorts, to allow for PROFIT sharing.

- My own family members want to help with the business... all retired & do not expect payment other than "free loot" here and there, though I should do the same as above as well - make them partners to allow for PROFIT sharing for their time.

The goal of course is for nobody to become an "employee" during the time of risk and start-up, or be able to come back later with an issue. I would also like to ensure that hose who contribute can be rewarded with sharing of the actual profits.

-

Any suggestions for how this should be set up?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">