• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bokaba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Can I form an LLC for a business that primarily focuses of shipping, copies, and other office type activities but also offers notarization services? I see that California has a prohibition against LLCs for businesses that offer professional services requiring a state license.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Can I form an LLC for a business that primarily focuses of shipping, copies, and other office type activities but also offers notarization services? I see that California has a prohibition against LLCs for businesses that offer professional services requiring a state license.
I don't think a notary service requires the level of training required to reach being a "professional" service. There are many LLC's that advertise notary service in CA with a quick search. See also:

https://eminutes.com/what-professional-or-nonprofessional-services-may-be-provided-by-a-limited-liability-company-in-california
http://www.mosaichub.com/answers/question/can-a-professional-service-business-located-in-cal

LdiJ

An LLC doesn't perform notarial acts.
To expand...

A notary is an individual who is licensed by the state. While that person may be paid by an LLC, and while the people who use their services might pay the LLC, the individual provides the notary services, and is liable for the services.

Zig, do you HAVE to keep being so cryptic? You KNOW that the average layperson is NOT going to understand what you said.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To expand...

A notary is an individual who is licensed by the state. While that person may be paid by an LLC, and while the people who use their services might pay the LLC, the individual provides the notary services, and is liable for the services.

Zig, do you HAVE to keep being so cryptic? You KNOW that the average layperson is NOT going to understand what you said.
While I would agree that I sometimes do get cryptic, in THIS case, I was in no way cryptic. An LLC simply doesn't perform notarial acts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">