• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can alien with H1-B stutus start a business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tao81

can alien with H1-B status start a business?

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am an alien with H1-B status and my I-485 AOS has been filed for 8 months already. I want to start a business so that I can work with it on part-time. My question is: am I legally qualified for registering any form of business structure?

Last edited:

JETX

"am I legally qualified for registering any form of business sturcture?"
*** Your visa does not allow you to have independent employment outside that of your sponsor.

T

tao81

Since my Green Card is in the last step of Adjust of status and the I-485 has been filed for 8 month. Does it give me some advance parole in forming a compnay before GC finally get approved?

JETX

Aarvee's answer is NOT correct when viewed from the question asked.

"I want to start a business so that I can work with it on part-time."
*** Again, the correct answer (even as supported by 'Aarvee's own referenced) is...... NO.

Here is an excerpt from Aarvee's reference:
"Similarly, it is possible for partnerships, limited liability, and other forms of organizations to include members who are not U.S. citizens, residents, or in non-immigrant status. It's the "working" the business that is prohibited."
and
"By having his hand in day-to-day activities, conversely, Ben is engaged in unauthorized employment, even though he is only working for his own company."

A

aarvee

i only said u can start a company. working for the company is not legal but he can do "voluntary" service ie should not be compensated.

JETX

"i only said u can start a company."
*** That wasn't what was asked.... or answered by me. Heck, using your logic, an equally acceptable answer would be, "Of course you can jump off a building.... just don't hit the ground".

T

tao81

Thanks for everybody's input. One thing I forgot to say early that I received EAD card 60 days after I had filed my I485. I assume the EAD card is a work permit to allow me work in united status. If the answer is true, Can I translate it as forming a business entity and working with this company is legal under my valid EAD?

A

aarvee

Todd,

ur ability to start a business is totally separate from being able to work for it. anybody anywhere in the world can start a business in the United States (except for subchapter S corps-requires atleast resident alien status).

the EAD authorizes u to work in the US. So yes, u can both start and work for ur company :)

T

tao81

aarvee:

Your explanation further simplify the issue by pointing out forming a company is OK for anyone but working for such formed company could have potential legel issue for H1B holder. In my case, since I have EAD on AOS and also renewed such EAD every year, it appears thing's just fine for me.

Condsidering the pro & cons of all business strucure, I think the S. incorporation is good for me. However, you mentioned S corps-requires atleast resident alien status, could you provide some on-line reference for that view? Thanks again.

BTW just for my curiosity, I saw both you and JETX are quire familiar with these legal question. Are you law scholl student or in other profession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">