• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a company claim something is free but overcharge on shipping for a profit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jwr2454

Texas. I ordered a product with a 'lifetime warranty' for that specific reason. I quickly realized shortly after receiving the product that a certain part was made cheaply and would break and crack easily. At first I didn't mind much because I thought that I could replace the part for free which they claim is part of the lifetime warranty. They claim the replacement part is free and you just have to pay for the shipping cost, which I thought was fair....until I went to order my part and they are charging 7 for shipping. Keep in mind this is a very small plastic part that is almost weightless and takes up no space. I was a bit annoyed but reluctantly paid for the shipping and got my new part only for it to break about 2 or 3 weeks later. So now I went to order another replacement and I decided I would order 2 parts since they are 'free' under the warranty and they are so small and weightless I figured this wouldn't be a problem. But of course they only allow you to order one part so in order to get 2 'free' replacement parts I would have to pay 14 in 'shipping cost' for something that cost only a few cents to make. This to me is so clearly a scam and they are overcharging on shipping and pocketing the extra money. They advertised this product as the only product of its type to have a lifetime warranty yet they purposefully made this part of the product very cheaply knowing that it would break and customers would have to order replacement parts. Are they allowed to do this?? I asked them for a receipt from the shipping company to verify the expenses and they rudely declined...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Texas. I ordered a product with a 'lifetime warranty' for that specific reason. I quickly realized shortly after receiving the product that a certain part was made cheaply and would break and crack easily. At first I didn't mind much because I thought that I could replace the part for free which they claim is part of the lifetime warranty. They claim the replacement part is free and you just have to pay for the shipping cost, which I thought was fair....until I went to order my part and they are charging 7 for shipping. Keep in mind this is a very small plastic part that is almost weightless and takes up no space. I was a bit annoyed but reluctantly paid for the shipping and got my new part only for it to break about 2 or 3 weeks later. So now I went to order another replacement and I decided I would order 2 parts since they are 'free' under the warranty and they are so small and weightless I figured this wouldn't be a problem. But of course they only allow you to order one part so in order to get 2 'free' replacement parts I would have to pay 14 in 'shipping cost' for something that cost only a few cents to make. This to me is so clearly a scam and they are overcharging on shipping and pocketing the extra money. They advertised this product as the only product of its type to have a lifetime warranty yet they purposefully made this part of the product very cheaply knowing that it would break and customers would have to order replacement parts. Are they allowed to do this?? I asked them for a receipt from the shipping company to verify the expenses and they rudely declined...
Yes, they are allowed to do that. No, you can't require that they provide you with a receipt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">