• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can finance co. legally withhold my car title? In CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjkmf

Can auto finance co. legally with hold my car title, because they allege I owe late fees? If I dispute and refuse to pay, can they keep the title indefinitely? Also because they hold my title, they will not negotiate the amount. Any suggestions?

JETX

Yes, read my answer to this same question you asked a few days ago.

The answer is YES, they can keep the title until you pay 'late fees'. Especially since the late fees are usually by contract paid first when payment is eventually made. This makes the payment short and the 'carryover' is not late fees, but unpaid partial payments.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

T

tjkmf

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halket:
Yes, read my answer to this same question you asked a few days ago.

The answer is YES, they can keep the title until you pay 'late fees'. Especially since the late fees are usually by contract paid first when payment is eventually made. This makes the payment short and the 'carryover' is not late fees, but unpaid partial payments.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry..Must have missed your first reply. Finance company sent a letter stating my account was concluded, but in checking records find that I have unpaid late fees. Except over the past year, from August-February I paid $30.00 more each month, than from February-July I paid 69.00 more each month. Basically over 400.00 more than what I owed. Yet my account was not paid of early, and I have no idea how extra money was distributed. I am sending a letter disputing and asking for records of all charges assessed and how money was distributed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">