• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I buy wholesale items and sell them on Ebay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LynMay

I'd like to start a business by buying wholesale items and selling them on Ebay and running adds in local papers. Is this legal? I've also been told that if I do this in only my name and don't use a ficticious name I don't need an employer id #. Is this also correct? I live in Pa. so I will need their tax id #.

JETX

What you are describing (buy cheap, sell for profit) is done all the time (hopefully). In fact, it is a pretty good business principle with a positive history.

Seriously, as long as you don't have employees, you shouldn't need a FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) and barring local requirements can use your SSN for business.

Check with your local registrar or clerk to see if you need to have a business license. Also, find out if you have to have a business name registration (d/b/a = Doing Business As). This is also required to open a banking account in that business name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">