• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim a Home Tax Exemption from Running a Business from "Out of State"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ajon

Can I claim a Home Tax Exemption from Running a Business from "Out of State"?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I would like to start a home based business out of a property I own in Tennessee (The business would be incorporated in Tennessee) but ran partially out of Texas as I also have an apartment here in Texas. The business will be an internet business. My question is will I be able to file for Tax Credits on my taxes for the items I purchase for my home and additions/modifications I will need to build on my home if the business is partially ran out of Texas?

Please advise. Thanks. :)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I would like to start a home based business out of a property I own in Tennessee (The business would be incorporated in Tennessee) but ran partially out of Texas as I also have an apartment here in Texas. The business will be an internet business. My question is will I be able to file for Tax Credits on my taxes for the items I purchase for my home and additions/modifications I will need to build on my home if the business is partially ran out of Texas?

Please advise. Thanks. :)
You can deduct/expense any supplies or equipment that you need to purchase to run the business. However you need to be very careful about attempting to claim additions/modifications for an internet business. If valid, they would likely be depreciable rather than something you can expense/deduct.

FlyingRon

You won't have a problem with the home deduction based on the location issue.
The IRS has a huge publication on this subject: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p587/
You can DEDUCT from your business income for legitimate expenses including obligatory depreciation as Ldij points out.
Note this is not a TAX CREDIT (reduction from the tax obliged) but a reduction in what will become your adjusted income.

You need to be careful as to situs/nexus when it comes to state taxation issues however.

davew128

You need to be careful as to situs/nexus when it comes to state taxation issues however.
I don't see this an issue. IMO, the OP is a resident of TN. Until and unless this is a legal entity, all income will be taxable to the OP in TN. As TX doesn't have an income tax, there is no tax issue there and no foreign state credit issue with TN.

FlyingRon

I don't see this an issue. IMO, the OP is a resident of TN. Until and unless this is a legal entity, all income will be taxable to the OP in TN. As TX doesn't have an income tax, there is no tax issue there and no foreign state credit issue with TN.
Sales tax is a possibility, even in Texas. He didn't say what kind of business.

LdiJ

TN doesn't have state income tax either...so the issue of state income tax is moot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">