• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I copy a client business idea?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnylaw

Arizona, but may register business or move to another state shortly. I do contracting work through my corporation, I have like a hundred clients who sell apparel, stock brokers, all types of business. One of my clients is a retailer of a product - the product is rare - but not totally unique, there are probably a hundred businesses in the world selling the same product - it is not a patented product, I can buy it from wholesalers.

I have never signed anything - no non-compete or confidentiality, but I have seen their sales figures. Am I limited at all in coming up with my own brand name of this same product and selling it? i.e. can I get sued...

Last edited:

quincy

Arizona, but may register business or move to another state shortly. I do contracting work through my corporation, I have like a hundred clients who sell apparel, stock brokers, all types of business. One of my clients is a retailer of a product - the product is rare - but not totally unique, there are probably a hundred businesses in the world selling the same product - it is not a patented product, I can buy it from wholesalers.

I have never signed anything - no non-compete or confidentiality, but I have seen their sales figures. Am I limited at all in coming up with my own brand name of this same product and selling it? i.e. can I get sued...
Ideas can generally be used by anyone and, if the product sold by your client is a product available wholesale, you can potentially become a retailer of the product, selling the product under your own company's trademarked name.

But, yes, there is always a potential for you to be sued by your current client. It depends on all sorts of facts and factors, however, whether any suit filed against you by your client would have merit.

Would you care to elaborate on this "rare" product, and on what sort of contracting work you do through your corporation, and on what sort of contract you currently have with this client of yours? I am thinking you may need a personal review of the facts by a professional in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">