• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I operate several businesses under one LLC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dvnaparose

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA
I am currently a sole proprietor. I want to set my business up as an LLC. I would like to operate several other businesses as well. Can I use the LLC as an 'umbrella' for the others and set them up as DBA's or do I need to set each one up as its own LLC?

Veronica1228

dvnaparose said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA
I am currently a sole proprietor. I want to set my business up as an LLC. I would like to operate several other businesses as well. Can I use the LLC as an 'umbrella' for the others and set them up as DBA's or do I need to set each one up as its own LLC?
I was hoping someone else would answer your question, and hopefully they still will, but all I know is that I see my commercial customers at the bank do it all the time. Saying that is very significant because banks are now required to do thorough investigations of all business customers to make sure that they do not open accounts for companies that are involved in terrorist activities. Otherwise known as the U.S. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act.

In other words, I'm pretty sure that this is okay to do, or else we wouldn't be allowed to open accounts for LLCs/DBAs at the bank. Stay tuned though. I'm sure someone else will come along to add to this answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">