• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I recover my money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

senzoga

What is the name of your state? Kansas.
I entered into this verbal agreement with my brother to start a liquor store. However, the Kansas law states that to be able to get a liquor license, you have to be a US citizen for at least 10 years. Which I'm not yet. So as brothers, we decided to work around that. Therefore the agreement was that I would buy the required equipment/fixtures, pay for the licensing fees and my brother would be a guarantor for the building lease. Since in Kansas you cannot own more than two liquor stores, my brother who already owns a liquor store could not legally own another one, so his wife agreed to let us use her name. She therefore became the legal owner of the business and the name on the license and all other legal forms. Believing my brother and his wife would stick to this agreement (again, verbal), I spent a lot of money buying all the required stuff and paying for the licensing fees. I spent a lot of time supervising the finish of the building, equipment installation and building inspection. My brother was supposed to contribute in the inventory purchase, however he kept delaying his contribution as the opening day signed on the lease was long past. Realizing that we had to open soon in order to be able to pay for the rent, I borrowed more money to buy a few inventory to start with and until that time, my brother and his wife hadn't contributed a penny in anything. On my part, I was well over $40,000.
On opening day, there comes my brother at the store and tells me that he wants the lease off his name, and the license off his wife's name. Which means the business had to shut down.
If anyone can tell me what kind of legal help I can get or how I can proceed to get my money back, which by the way is a debt I absolutely have to pay back. Again, keep in my mind that my name is not anywhere on the legal paperwork, however, I can prove that my name is tied to the source of money and business bank account.
THANK YOU!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">